Uptown Chicago Resources


Historic Theatres & Movie Palaces of Balaban and Katz

Historic Theatres of Balaban and Katz: Harding Theatre

The Harding Theatre during construction. Image courtesy Library of Congress, DN-0078930, Chicago Daily News collection. Click on image for larger view.

The Harding Theatre — A Brief History

Located at 2724 N. Milwaukee in the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago, the neo-classical Harding Theatre was designed by Freidstein & Company architects for the Lubliner & Trinz circuit, which also owned the Belmont. The theatre opened in 1925 and was purchased by the Balaban & Katz circuit around 1929, along with the other Freidstein-designed houses, the Congress and the Tower. The Harding had a 3/18 Wurlitzer organ.

The theatre was closed in 1963 and demolished the next year.


Cultural Crossroads
About Us
Now Available
Upcoming Releases
Contact Us
Cultural Resources
Folklore, Fairy Tales, & Myths
Uptown Chicago Resources
Table of Contents
About This Collection
Submit Your Photos and Stories
Uptown Theatre
Uptown Community Portrait 2005
News
History
Read Petition
Sign Petition
Compass Rose Cultural Crossroads